Friday 28 May 2010

Heads or Tails?

I want to show you something revolutionary, something that will (or should) change your life and the way you think. In the word's of Switchfoot "Life is not what I thought it was 24 hours ago ♪"

Mark 9:33-35 - They came to Capernaum. When he was in the house, he asked them, "What were you arguing about on the road?" But they kept quiet because on the way they had argued about who was the greatest. Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, "If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all."

When you make an approach to anything, you should think about this. Are you making the choice you are making, or doing what you are doing, knowing that it's going to make someone else come out of it bad, and possibly as well that you will come out of it good?!
Then you're thinking upside-down.
I can't judge, we've all done it, I'm just addressing something that I think could change the world if we change the way we think.

I think it's human nature to want to be liked. It's human nature to want people to admire you or say nice things about you. It's human nature to want recognition for things you achieve. But that's not what you should be thinking. Don't think you should have the credit, allow others to take it. Not in a "walk-all-over you" way, but step back and allow the glory to be passed to others :) And be happy for them, and proud of them!

Jesus says in that passage: "If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all."
To be the best, you need to put yourself below everyone else. That's not just under a few people, with a few people below you who you "know" are worse people than you are. No, he means everyone.





I believe there are two reasons why God wants us to think like this:

Firstly, you feel better about yourself, and see everyone in a more positive light. You see the best in people, and so get the best out of people, and in return the best is shown in you.

Secondly, you need to practice serving. Serving is not easy, it is inconvenient. If it wasn't it wouldn't be serving it would be entertainment. God rewards those who serve others, and he will reward them in Heaven. That may not seem relevant or good enough for you NOW, at this point in time, but I've noticed a reward the second I do anything so much as compliment someone. I feel a sense of happiness that I've made someone else happy. Not in a boastful way, but in a way where I feel proud of myself that I've been nice to that person :)
 
 
There's also a third, but I feel seperate reason. Read this:

Deuteronomy 28:13 - The LORD will make you the head, not the tail. If you pay attention to the commands of the LORD your God that I give you this day and carefully follow them, you will always be at the top, never at the bottom.

Ok, so the "commands of the LORD your God" are as the previous passage explains - putting others before yourself. So tick that off. Once you've done that God says He will make you above others. I think he does this as a reward in heaven. Also NOW. People are impatient, especially me! But there are rewards NOW. Think of someone you admire, someone you think a lot of, and think they are a really nice person. Ok, now how do they treat other people? Do they help people? Make nice comments to people? Or do they talk about people behind their backs, or be really horrible to people? I'm guessing they're a lovely and kind person, yes? People admire nice people.
And the person being admired will most likely be very humble too, that comes with the practicing of putting others before yourself.
 
 
So, heads or tails - what's it gonna be?

No comments:

Post a Comment